Elegant Homes & Interiors Newsletter-March 1st, 2022, Pillow Power For Spring!
Let's talk Pillow Power For Spring! I love the changing of the seasons. One of my favorite rituals as the cold months fold into warm, and back again, is to switch out the accent pillows on my sofa, window seat, and bedding. In a few weeks, I will unzip my plaid pillows and replace them with light florals and stripes. And just like that, my living spaces will feel brand new for spring! You can give your sofa, chairs, and bed a quick pick me up simply by tossing in some new pillows. Pulling together an assortment of pillows that is refreshing, but not overwhelming, is key. It’s easy when you follow the mix-it-up strategy we’ve come up with over the years at Elegant Homes and Interiors! Here are my 5 tips to help you out!
1. Choose one cohesive color palette and do not veer from it. You’re going to get the most impact if all of your pillows are either in the same shade or in a pair of complementary shades.
2. Shoot for a symmetrical arrangement, whether it’s on your couch, bed, or window seat! When you’re layering several different fabrics on top of each other, things can get really busy, really fast. We like a symmetrical arrangement because it keeps things feeling orderly and polished.
3. One simple print, one busy print, and one solid. This is a basic formula that’ll help you narrow down your options. Another way to think about it is — one small print, one big print, one solid. Your busy/large print should be on your largest pillows or the pillow that is front and center, as this print will usually set the tone for not just your pillow arrangement but the rest of your room. Plaids and stripes work well as small/simple prints.
4. As your move towards the inside of the sofa, the pillows should get smaller. Visually, your largest pillows should be in the far corners, and your smaller pillow should be on the inside.
5. Although decorative, pillows are really meant to add comfort to your upholstered furniture pieces, so don’t go overboard! We’ve all sat down on that couch that is so packed to the gills with throw pillows that you feel like you’re being shoved into a bag of marshmallows. This is not the situation you want to create, so if you have to ask if you have too many, take a few away!
No matter what your style, create pillows that bring your vision for your home to life. If you need creative inspiration, come to my page Elegant Homes and Interiors for daily doses of decorating help! XOXO, Tabitha PS. Don't forget to shop the Elegant Boutique!